Saturday, January 23, 2010

The body

Ok so one time I went to the Science and Industry Museum with my family. At the time, this is when I love the human body and learning about it (note: I still do love the human body and its awesome amazingness). We were going to visit the Body World exhibit! This whole exhibit dedicated to the amazing, vastness of the human body, and the coolest part of it, it was all real human bodies, cadavers at least. They all kept their position because of the process plastination, basically all the liquid in the body is replaced by plastic. The whole exhibit is by Gunther Von Hagen, a German man with a huge imagination. When I went to this, I was just amazed by what was in us. I never saw a real cadaver before; everything I saw inside the human body was all just pictures from books. But this time, it was all in front of me in plain sight. One cadaver showed all the veins and arteries in our body, it just the chest and up. It looked like a spider that had red web just webbed what looked like the upper human body. The cool thing was that the veins pretty much outlined the whole head and everything. You could see exactly where the nose was, where the eye holes were and the ears and everything. Another cadaver, which was from an art picture and I’m sure a lot of people know, was the one of the man holding his own skin. The man held it about his head and looked at it. I felt he saw it as, this flabby piece of cells, protects my body, it is the wall that blocks me, the inner me, from the outer world. I was absolutely amazed by the whole exhibit and I would love to go back to it. I’ve always wanted to meet Gunther Von Hagen as well and just say how freaking amazing the whole exhibit was. One thing that I wouldn’t mind is that if, once I died, that my body be used for the exhibit. I would love to stand forever showing the world what’s inside of them. Creepy thought, but it would be the coolest thing ever.

3 comments:

  1. I also went and saw that exhibit. I found it creepy and gross but still cool that some one did all this. I dont think i would donate my body to science though : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this exhibit while I was on a field trip with my Anatomy & Physiology class in high school. I thought it was awesome! I agree with you when you say that seeing what we are made up of is cool! Although I probably wouldn't donate my body to science, I commend you for that. The more people that volunteer for such a thing, the more we can know about how our bodies work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also saw this exhibit with my family. I thought it was super cool and fascinating! One of my favorite parts was the the bodies only made of just blood vessels. It just amazed me how complex our bodies are. I hope to see this exhibit again!

    ReplyDelete