Saturday, March 20, 2010

ENG 101 at ISU

So far in ENG, I feel it’s really different from other English classes I’ve taken. Obviously because this is college, it’s completely different from high school. It’s just when I think of English I think of long essays, reading assignments that we have like fifteen questions to answer in the end. Plus those lovely tests about books and grammar. It’s definitely not what I expected it to be. I’m not saying it’s easier, but I feel there is a lot less to do compare to high school English. Plus all the reading that isn’t assigned is quiet nice. I remember in my English class we wouldn’t have so many peer reviews, we ourselves were our peer review, so I like how we have others look over our work. It really helps on what needs to be fixed to make the paper better. In high school we would only get, what felt like, a couple of days until a huge research paper is due. Here it feels more spaced out and more time is given. I really like the use of the computers to save all the work, plus with the way we are saving our work, it helps me title my future work so it’s easier to find. One thing I do want to learn a bit about is the different types of papers and their different set ups. I always get stuck on how to set up a good paper, or what to choose to tell my audience. When I get a topic I want to tell everyone about everything about the topic but need to pick out only the important details. How do you choose what you think is important compared to what your audience thinks is important. I guess that’s the hard part of English, getting the audience involved and interested. That’s another thing, different techniques used to get the audience wanting to read more and more of a research paper, or informative paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment